Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Chicago/ Fort Custer

We started our vacation out by going to Chicago ! We were able to stay at Dave and Rachel's. They fixed us a fabulous supper with hamburgers, brats and grilled asparagus, Dave's famous red mashed potatoes, fresh fruit , and cake ( in honor of Scotts birthday )We also were able to go see Katie's new apt. and as you can see her cute new addition Bella.
Ally still liking being top dog.

We also saw where Katie works in Evanston. Jean and Scott were also there for one of their art shows , the art show and area was a great place to shop. Sunday while Jean and Scott were at the art show, we went with Dave and Rachel to brunch at a local restaurant Moonshine Cafe. Thanks for letting us stay with you in Chicago , we had a great time !


We then went camping in Augusta with Gret and Randy. Here Gret and I are at the restaurant Clare's on the River. It is an old railroad station with beautiful stain glass windows, huge fireplace, lots of beautiful wood and cute decor.



Gret and Randy at supper




Since it was a cold , somewhat rainy week we did not spend much time at the beach at Fort Custer. Fort Custer is where the military trained during the world war . It has over 200 campsites, lots of shade from huge trees. It is known for its mountain biking trails which is a new sport I have taken up thanks to Gret and Randy. It has some easy courses and some very difficult ones. As you can see from my injury above ( on the back of my R calf) I had one mishap . On one of the more difficult courses I had just taken a ramp, it had lots of twists and turns and tight squeezes through the trees, my left pedal got caught on a tree trunk and my R foot slid off and my leg came down on the spikes on the pedal. The good news is I did not fly over the handle bars . ( Randy did that on his first run). If you ever camp there be wary of the racoons, they are military trained. I had my food in a rubbermaid container, I had it bungee corded tight. I woke up and the cord was still on it but my bread wrapper was empty on the ground. Sure enough, they workin teams, covert operation, one raccoon pulling, the other pushing, the evidence was the claw marks on the rubbermaid container. They eat so well they have super human strength.



Jim talked me into golfing with him on thursday at Custer greens, $ 8 per person, I did my usual 10 stokes on the first couple of holes. Jim bet me on the third hole, a par 3 , that he would give me 200 dollars if I could get it in 5 . Guess what, never motivate a competitive woman ! I did it in 5 . Pay up Jimmy !






3 comments:

  1. My dad and Uncle Jim with their bets :) Glad you won! Looks like fun times...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the post....but gracious, your injury looks bad.....I am glad you did not go over the handle bars....loved the picture of Jimmy's golf stroke, and love it even better you won the bet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rach - It was great fun having you and Jim as part of our visit to Chicago last week! Glad the two of you were also able to get away for some much-deserved time off with your friends. You are right about those pesky raccoons, though - I'll never forget the time a pack of them surrounded our tent in Florida all night long, after Scott brilliantly fed them at our picnic table earlier in the day! (Way to go on that bet thing, too!)

    ReplyDelete